Sudsy Water Laundry + Dry Cleaning created a laundry reference guide for the lucky grads who are college bound and get to do their own laundry this Fall. If you know someone heading to college, pass along this handy laundry guide. You may enjoy the refresher as well :)
- Check all care labels. Separate items that need to be hand washed or dry cleaned. This would also be a good time to check your pockets.
- Keep bath towels and bed linens separate. They can withstand the highest temperatures and most aggressive cycles.
- Separate remaining items into darks, lights, and whites.
- Separate lint generating items (like sweatshirts) from lint magnets (like corduroys).
- Turn treasured items and blue jeans inside out. This will reduce the chance of color loss.
- Be sure to zip all zippers.
- Place any delicate items to be washed separately into mesh bags.
- When sorting, be sure to pre-treat any spots or stains.
- Loosely place items in the washing machine. Never overload the machine – clothes won’t come clean if there isn’t enough room to agitate.
- Select cycle, water temperature, and detergent according to the care label’s directions when washing garments.
- Once garments have been washed, check to see if spots have been removed before placing clothes in the dryer. If the spot is still there, do not put the item in the dryer. The heat will set the stain. Instead, place it to the side to treat and wash again.
- Clean the lint trap before putting clothes in the dryer.
- Select dryer time and temperature according to the care label’s directions.
- Since garments dry at different rates, keep similar drying requirements together.
- Be sure the dryer isn’t overloaded. If the dryer is overloaded, it will cause some items to over dry and others to remain damp.
- Remove clothes from the dryer as soon as they are finished and either fold properly or hang on appropriate hangers so that wrinkles don’t start forming.
When all else fails, SudsyWater is available to handle all your laundry and dry cleaning needs. Book a reservation online 24/7 and we’ll wash and fold and return your clothes at your convenience.