Eventually even the softest towels can get stiff and faded. And it is one of life’s cruel ironies that the more you launder your towels, the rougher and dingier they can get. Build-up from detergent and fabric softener is the main culprit as to why your comfy linens can get rough. To help combat the build-up and help loosen up the fabric, try these home remedies.
- Soak towels in hot water and 1/4 cup (or less) ammonia. The ammonia will help remove residue.
- Add 1 cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle to help soften the fabric.
- When the machine is full of water, add 1 cup Epsom salt. This will help remove chemical build-up.
- Do not overload the washing machine. It is important not to smash and compact the fibers during the wash.
- Do not hang your towels out to dry. Though quaint and environmentally friendly, line drying can contribute to the stiffness of towels. Tumble dry instead.
Try some of these tips next time you find your towels more scratchy than soft. And for all your other laundering needs, please visit your neighborhood Sudsy Water locations.